This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosure policy.
Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
If you are looking for the best cheeseburger recipe EVER, you’ve come to the right place. This bad boy is packed with melty gouda and cheddar cheese, crispy bacon, caramelized onions, and an amazing (and easy) whole-grain mustard aioli. It may sound complicated but it is completely amazing and totally worth it.
Ok, I may be biased, because I made it, but I think this is the best cheeseburger recipe ever. In the history of mankind. And in the universe.
To be honest, I’m pretty picky about my burgers, so I made this one with a lot of careful detail and a lot of love. This has all of my favorite things packed into one sexy cheeseburger. My favorite part? Believe it or not: the whole grain aioli. I use Maille Whole Grain mustard. It’s a staple, and honestly the best.
This cheeseburger recipe has it all; crispy bacon, melty cheese, a thick grass-fed burger, brioche bun, caramelized onions and a whole grain aioli. It sounds complicated but the only time consuming part of this recipe is getting those onions caramelized. The rest only takes a few minutes to put together.
This is perfect with an ice cold beer but also pairs well with white wine, light drinks like white sangria or everyone’s summer favorite: my Aperol Spritz!
Start your night off right and start with my sausage jalapeño popper dip or my candied bacon deviled eggs and then indulge on this amazing cheeseburger! Serve along side a light salad, crispy fries or grilled veggies.
One tip: the gouda may or may not melt depending on the type and brand you buy. Don’t worry if it doesn’t, it will still be delicious! I added cheddar to make sure there’s a mix of melty and delicious.
Ready for the recipe? Have I rambled enough? Here you go!
- 4 1/2 lb burger patties grass-fed is best
- 4 slices smoked gouda cheese
- 4 slices medium cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 4 brioche burger buns
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 onion
- 1 head butter lettuce
- Preheat the grill to 450°
- In a pan, cook the bacon on each side over med-high heat until crispy. Do this in two batches to make sure the bacon is crisp. Should take approx. 2 minutes per side.
- While you are heating up the grill and bacon is cooking, cut the onion into slices, and then in half-moon pieces.
- Once bacon is done, take out of the pan and set on a papertowel lined plate. Reserve fat in pan.
- Turn the stove heat to low and add the onion and a little salt. Cook low and slow stirring occasionally until the onion caramelizes, approx 30-45 minutes.
- Mix the mayonnaise and mustard together to make the aioli.
- About 20 minutes into the onion cooking, add the burgers to the grill.
- Cook about 3-4 minutes on one side and flip, once flipped, add the cheese on top and continue cooking another 3-4 minutes until just medium and a little crust forms. Throw the bun on inside-down for 30 seconds to lightly toast.
- Take off the grill and assemble: bottom bun, aioli, piece of butter lettuce, burger with cheese, bacon, onions, a little more aioli and top bun.