This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosure policy.
This red-wine and coffee-rubbed pot roast is the perfect blend of flavor for your next slow-cooker meal. Just set and forget and enjoy when you’re home from work!
I love pot roast. Always have since I was a kid. My mom would get a roast, onions, carrots and potatoes and throw everything in the “pot roast” bag in the oven and bake for a couple hours until it was perfect. Now, it is amazing, but it’s cooked in a plastic bag. And let’s be real, given everything we’re slowly finding out, I’m not too keen on something that’s been cooked several hours in a clear plastic bag. Now I prefer things to be made from my own ingredients without the extra additives and/or chemicals.
Interestingly enough, I’m just now coming around the the whole “slow cooker” thing. I genuinely used to not be into slow cookers, similar to the way Ina Garten wasn’t. But as I’ve gotten older and honestly had less time, I’ve really come around to love them.
I use a Smart Slow Cooker and it’s so great! I set it, and turn down to warm if I don’t want to cook too long.
Which brings me to my next point: My slow cooker pot roast. Y’all (and I apologize, I’ve been saying y’all a lot which is weird because I am from southern California) this is so good. I was introduced to coffee rubbed pot roast not too long ago and it is a GAME CHANGER. Coffee, but really espresso, just adds this sultry, smooth, amazing flavor that sends this pot roast over the edge to deliciousness. I also use a tiny bit of red wine to enhance the richness of the broth flavor here.
Make this and serve over my Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes and you have yourself a perfect dinner. Or if you’re looking for other great slow cooker recipes, try my delish Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken. This is also great to make for fun holiday dinners like Friendsgiving and Christmas Eve!
Coffee Rubbed Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- Slow Cooker
- 3-4 lb chuck roast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 4-5 large carrots
- 1/2 jalapeno optional
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp espresso
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar optional
- 3 tsp flour
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the onion into wedges, carrots into 1 inch slices, and dice the jalapeño (if using) and set aside. Rub espresso, salt and pepper all over the pot roast and let sit for 10 minutes. In a hot pan with the olive oil, sear all sides of pot roast for 2 minutes on each side to form a light crust and seal in the flavor.
- Add all ingredients, except mushrooms, butter and flour to slow cooker and set on low. Cook for 8-10 hours or until roast is tender
- About 15 minutes before you are ready to serve, heat butter in pan and sear the mushrooms on each side, about 3 minutes on each side or just until lightly golden. Take off heat, stir in flour with the mushrooms and immediately add to the roast.
- Serve and enjoy with mash potatoes or crusty bread.