This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosure policy.
This Instant pot carnitas recipe is simple to make and perfect for any season! Delicious and EASY.
It’s fall y’all!
First off, I love fall. It’s the start of sweaters and hot drinks and all of my favorite foods. All of the things. I usually stick to soups and stews in fall, but sometimes I spring for the occasional taco-type treat, hence instant pot carnitas!
If you are one of the few who haven’t joined the Instant Pot craze yet, you should seriously consider getting one. I’ll admit, at first I was terrified I was going to blow up my house, but now I’m totally in love. The instant pot is much better than a slow cooker in my opinion because it retains the same awesome flavor as slow braised foods and cooks it in a third of the time. Seriously, get one- they’re awesome.
This is the perfect accompaniment to my Cucumber Basil Margaritas, or along with my Mango Jalapeno Tequila Sunrise! If you’re not doing the Whole 30 like I am and you can enjoy alcohol.
This recipe is a SERIOUS cloud pleaser, with orange, cinnamon, pineapple (yum) and a bit of spicy jalapeño to really enhance the flavor. I made a batch and the group ate it up like nobody’s business, along with 2nds and 3rds. Even better it’s made in an instant pot! It’s done in a flash and tastes like it was cooked for hours the old fashioned way. You just need to try these!
The pineapple in this recipe also kicks it up a notch and adds a sweet acidity that totally enhances the dish. I’ve made instant pot carnitas before, but never like this! This is great for tacos, and over cauliflower rice or sautéed vegetables.
- 1 tbsp Olive or coconut oil
- 3-4 lbs Pork Shoulder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Jalapeno diced (seeded if you want it less spicy)
- 3 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Chile Powder
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano (optional)
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 cup Pineapple Juice
- 1 cup Mexican Beer or Chicken Stock
- 1/2 cup Orange Juice
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce or Coconut Aminos
- 1 White onion diced
- Fresh Cilantro
- diced white onion, fresh cilantro, diced mango, diced avocado, lime wedges all optional, but great toppings!
- Set Instant Pot to sauté and add oil to pot once hot.
- Cut pork shoulder into smaller chunks and sauté on each side until browned. You will need to do this in 2-3 batches.
- Once all pieces of pork have been seared, turn off the sauté function by clicking the keep warm/cancel button.
- All in all remaining ingredients (including all pork pieces) to the pot and lock the lid.
- Press the Meat/Stew button and set manual for 30 minutes.
- Let the pot release naturally, this should take approx 20 minutes.
- Once the pot has released all pressure, take the Carnitas out of the pot with a slotted spoon onto a baking sheet with foil. Take some of the juice from the pot and pour over carnitas to retain the moisture.
- Set the oven to broil and place the baking sheet with the carnitas and juice in the oven and bake until edges are crispy, just under 5 minutes. Make sure you check so they don't burn!
- Take out of the oven and serve in warmed tortillas. Top with fresh onions and cilantro and some sliced fresh mango or avocado if desired. Make sure you squeeze some fresh lime on top!
Leave a Reply