This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosure policy.
Shakshuka is a delicious recipe consisting of eggs poached in a tomato sauce. This Mexican-inspired shakshuka recipe is light, slightly spicy and totally delicious.
Happy Saturday everyone!
This month, I went back to the Whole30. I’ve done it plenty of times in the past but this time I felt like I desperately needed a reset.
I’m the kind of person that tends to try ALL of the diets. Always trying to find what works for me, and I get excited to try something new. With that being said, I feel like I’ve tried them all. Most of them genuinely don’t work, at least not in the long term. What I’ve found with a lot of these fad diets is that they work, NOW, but they don’t teach you anything. You don’t gain a relationship with food like you do with Whole30. So I went back yet again.
And I feel so much better. The Whole30 really changed my relationship with food and the way I look at everything from when I started a few years back. If you’re interested in reading upon it, here are a couple of resources: It Starts with Food and the Whole30 book.
Shakshuka is a great recipe, and is Whole30 approved! I really enjoy traditional shakshuka but I always felt like it should be a little different. Maybe that’s the Mexican half of me, but I’ve always thought it could be better.
Honestly, this recipe is heaven. The way the eggs cook makes them so creamy, and the bright, flavorful sauce is the perfect accompaniment. If I’m on Whole30, obviously I’m not eating tortillas and skipping the adobo sauce. But if you are NOT on a Whole30, you should eat this with tortillas too and add in a little chipotle pepper in adobo sauce. Check the ingredients for chipotle in adobo to make sure that there is no. Go for one with ingredients you recognize and know.
I made mine in my Lodge cast iron, because it gets a perfect, even cook and it’s got beautiful flavor already baked in. Cast iron cookware is SO inexpensive, yet SO amazing. I can’t speak highly enough about it.
If you’re looking for other great Whole30 recipes, check these out!
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 tbsp olive or grapeseed oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 cups diced canned tomatoes
- 1 chipotle pepper optional
- 1 tbsp adobo sauce optional
- salt and pepper
- 5-6 fresh eggs
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Cut the jalapeno in half and scrape out the seeds and the white inner lining (that's the spicy part)
- Dice the jalapeno, bell pepper and onion
- Over medium heat, add oil to the pan. Once hot, add in jalapeno, onion and bell pepper
- Cook until onion is lightly translucent. Add diced canned tomatoes, cumin, salt and pepper, and chipole/adobo sauce if you're including those
- Bring sauce to a boil and turn to low. Crack the eggs on top. Be careful not to break the yolk.
- Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the egg yolk is just jammy.
- Top with fresh cilantro and serve!