This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosure policy.
This sausage and ricotta pasta is made in one pot, and is completely delicious! This whole dish comes together in 20 minutes for the perfect, easy weeknight dinner.
Recently, I discovered the Trader Joe’s cauliflower gnocchi, and let me say that I was NOT disappointed! It’s actually very delicious. This is wonderful made with cauliflower gnocchi or traditional gnocchi. Or if you’re not a fan of gnocchi, sub it out for penne or spaghetti, this is very versatile and goes well with everything.
This is really easy because you’ll make the sauce, which really only takes about 20 minutes, simultaneously cook the gnocchi and then throw the ricotta, basil and warm on top and call it a day! So easy and so delish. I can’t believe it took me this long to finally write down this recipe!
Honestly it hadn’t even occurred to me to throw ricotta directly on top of pasta like you would with parmesan until I went to an Italian place in my neighborhood. They offer to “add” ricotta for an additional price and I tried it, it CHANGED my pasta game. A couple suggestions here:
- Penne is great in place of the gnocchi
- Make sure to properly salt and pepper this dish. It can take a little more salt than your expecting, and test as you go to adjust as needed!
- For a little extra spicy kick (if the sausage doesn’t offer as much as you like) add crushed red pepper flakes
- DON’T skip the fresh basil if possible. It’s that perfect final touch of flavor that pulls this entire dish together.
- Wine Pairing: If you want to go light, go with a pinot Grigio to really bring out that tomato flavor, or go red (my fave) with a Zinfandel or with a Chianti.
This dish is made with both sweet and Italian sausage, because I really don’t like to overpower the spice in this pasta and I really enjoy the flavors both sausage types bring to the table. I also use san Marzano tomatoes here, but really any brand that you’ve found you like will do.
If you’re looking for other easy weeknight dinners, check out my Baked Salmon with Balsamic Cherry Tomatoes or my Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Apples and Mustard Sauce!
One Pot Sausage and Ricotta Pasta
This one pot pasta is delicious and really easy to make!
- 1 lb Italian sausage I use a half of each sweet and hot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 28 oz can San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped basil
- 1/3 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese or more to taste
- 1 12 oz bag cauliflower gnocchi OR 8 oz dry penne pasta
- 8 oz whole milk ricotta cheese
In a deep sauté pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Once oil it hot, add sausage and cook until fully cooked through. Make sure to crumble the sausage as your cooking so it's not all large pieces.
Remove sausage with slotted spoon and add onion (if not more oil/fat in the pan, add another tbsp oil). Cook onion until translucent. Add garlic and cook another 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and half the basil. Give a quick stir.
Add sausage back to the pan and bring to a light simmer, cook for 10 minutes.
While sauce is simmering, cook pasta according to package instructions. Once the pasta is cooked through and the sauce is done simmering, add the pasta to the sauce and top with the parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese, and the remainder of the basil. Enjoy!