This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosure policy.
This easy roasted chicken is your perfect weeknight recipe for an easy, simple and delicious Whole30 approved dinner!
I love roasted chicken. If there’s one go-to meal I have, it’s a roasted chicken over onions with some green veggies and mashed potatoes on the side. I’m no Ina but I do make a mean chicken.
When I started the Whole30, I knew I needed some familiar recipes to make the transition easy. I used to make Ina’s Lemon Chicken with Croutons all the time (in my favorite Ina cookbook). But unfortunately, it’s definitely not Whole30 approved. I needed to make a version that met my new healthy eating habits and still gave me that home-cooked happiness. That’s why I created this recipe!
I’ve tested out a few recipes and finally settled on this one. The perfect easy roasted chicken. There’s just something about that amazing sweet anise flavor in Tarragon that perfectly enhances chicken, and makes the onions at the bottom of the pan taste heavenly.
This pairs perfectly with (if you’re not Whole30-ing) a nice glass of Apple Sangria and some crusty bread. If you are on the Whole30, it’s great with my Rosemary and roasted garlic mash and charred lemon broccoli.
This easy roasted chicken only requires a few simple, easy to find ingredients and can quickly feed your entire family with little to no effort.
Easy Roasted Chicken with TarragonPrint Pin Rate
- 1 3-4 lb Whole chicken
- 1 lemon quartered
- 1 head garlic cut in half width-wise
- 1 bunch fresh tarragon
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp ghee softened
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 onion sliced in rounds
- Set oven to 425 degees
- Remove giblets from chicken and pat down chicken to remove excess moisture
- Salt and pepper the inside of the chicken and stuff with quartered lemon, halved garlic and the tarragon bunch
- Mix olive oil, ghee, salt, pepper, tarragon and lemon zest together and rub on the outside of the chicken
- Place onions on bottom of roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place chicken on top of onions and roast for approx 1 hour and 20 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 165 degrees.