This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosure policy.
This cornbread stuffing recipe is the perfect blend of savory and sweet. How can you go wrong with cornbread, honey, apples and sausage?
Raise your hand if stuffing is also your favorite Thanksgiving side dish!
I’m a stuffing fanatic! And this is RECENT, I’m a complete weirdo and I hated stuffing at one point, up until about 3 years ago. It may have been one of those things where someone gave me a terrible excuse for stuffing when I was younger and I just made a spur of the moment decision to hate it.
Long story short now I’m in LOVE and I can’t get enough stuffing. This cornbread stuffing recipe is honestly so stinkin good, I wish it was acceptable to eat stuffing more than just one day a year. Seriously, why is it only one day a year?
I love this stuffing because it’s got all of the flavors: savory, sweet, a little spice, it’s delicious! Cornbread has such a lovely texture for stuffing, and it take on the moisture so well in comparison to other breads. This recipe is also really fun if you add some jalapeno too! But if you add jalapeno, add it to the sautee before hand, don’t throw it in raw.
I used organic breakfast sausage here, but this would also be good with andoullie sausage or even bacon. But please make sure you get something with a little fat, it will make the onions and apples that much more extraordinary.
I have PLENTY of fantastic thanksgiving sides that go perfectly with this cornbread stuffing. Like my twice baked potatoes, cranberry sauce, green beans with tomatoes, and brussels sprouts with pomegranate glaze. All huge crowd pleasers!
I’m still working on and perfecting my turkey recipe, but I would suggest going with Ina Garten’s Turkey Recipe. She’s a food goddess and I trust everything she makes.
Sausage and Apple Cornbread Stuffing
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 apple
- 2 loaves cornbread
- 1 1/2 tbsp poultry seasoning
- 1 cup chicken stock or just enough to moisten bread
- 6 tbsp butter cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup white wine optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Heat a saute pan over medium heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil
- Add sausage to pan and cook through, breaking up periodically while cooking into small pieces. While sausage is cooking, roughly chop onion and apple. Cut cornbread into 1" squares or crumble.
- Remove sausage with a slotted spoon, leave drippings in the pan. Add onion and cook until just translucent, approx 3 minutes. Add apple and cook 2 minutes longer. Take off heat.
- In a bowl, add cornbread, sausage, apple, onion, white wine, chicken stock and poultry seasoning and toss a couple times to incorporate ingredients and evenly distribute the liquids. Transfer to a greased 9×13 baking dish add top with butter. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until just turning golden on top.