Sausage, Kale, and Potato Soup
An easy and delicious weeknight soup recipe that's made in 45minutes and is Whole30 friendly!
- 3 slices Bacon chopped
- 1 lb kielbasa or smoked sausage sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 bunch Kale chopped
- 8 cups good chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 medium potatoes
Heat dutch oven or saute pan over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until crispy, about 5 minutes.
Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and add in onions and cook until translucent. 3-4 minutes.
Remove onions with a slotted spoon and add olive oil (if no fat left in pan). Cook sausage on each side to quickly sear to a light golden brown. Only about 1 minute per side.
If using dutch oven add remaining uncooked ingredients and onion and simmer for 30 minutes. If using a saute pan transfer sausage and onion to pot and add remaining uncooked ingredients. Simmer for 30 minutes over low.
Top with bacon and enjoy!
- This uses kielbasa or smoked sausage, however you can easily substitute for Italian sausage or other ground sausage
- I use lacinto kale here, but you can easily substitute out for tuscan kale.
- Storage: this freezes well, I suggest using within 2 months. Or keeps in fridge for about 5 days.
Calories: 531kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 71mg | Sodium: 1201mg | Potassium: 1367mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 2224IU | Vitamin C: 48mg | Calcium: 105mg | Iron: 8mg