Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
An easy weekday or weekend recipe in the slow cooker that's easy, delicious and family friendly!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 poblano pepper optional
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 - 2.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 1/2 cups corn
- 2.5 cups salsa of choice
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
Slice up your onion and pepper into strips/half moons and mince the garlic.
Heat a pan over medium heat. Add olive oil and then add the onions and peppers. Cook until onions are translucent.
Add garlic and cook 30 seconds more.
In a slow cooker, add all ingredients, including onion and pepper mix, and stir to combine. Salt and pepper to taste, and set over high heat.
Cook 4-5 hours or until chicken shreds easily.
- You can safely put raw chicken in a slow cooker
- Can you put frozen chicken in a slow cooker? No, you might find some sources that suggest or say that you can. However, the USDA states that you should not, so we will stick with that. If frozen, thaw your chicken prior to cooking.
- If you'd like a creamier version, add 1/2 - 1 cup of cream cheese! Super yummy.
- You can omit the peppers if you're worried about this being too spicy, or if you can't find this specific kind of pepper. You can also substitute in jalapeño if you like this a little spicier (wink).
- I used chicken breasts and tenders here. However, boneless skinless thighs are also good too! Personally, I prefer all white meat when it comes to shredded chicken.
Calories: 366kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 57g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 163mg | Sodium: 875mg | Potassium: 1286mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 672IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 2mg